Every Christian has been called to be a witness for Jesus Christ from the moment he receives the Lord as his Lord and savior. However, many of us do not or are unable to fulfill this mandate known as the great commission. In the book of Mathew, before the ascension of Jesus to heaven, he left this instruction to his disciples “And Jesus came and spoke to them,” All authority and power has been given to me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the father and the son and of the Holy spirit, teaching them to observe all the things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen (Mathew 28:18-20).
With this command, it is very clear that every Christian has been called to be a witness of Jesus Christ but as stated earlier, not all are able to do this because of several factors which ranges from personal to public opinions of what should be done. I have tried to outline some of the reasons why Christians do not witness anymore and why they should with the hope that our passion for Jesus Christ would be revived.
Why Christians Fail to Witness to Others About Jesus Christ
- Fear of People: fear is one of the factors many Christians have failed to be witnesses for the Lord Jesus Christ. The fear of reproach and ridicule of men can be very devastating not only as witnesses of the gospel but in our everyday life but what we must know is that as believers, God has not given as a spirit of fear but of love, joy and peace in the Lord. This should be your confession whenever you feel intimidated by people you have the desire to witness to. The truth of the matter is that the “World” would never agree with you as the ungodly and carnal Christians would always ridicule you. The early apostles faced these same opposition and fears as people would always take offence of the cross (Galatians 5:11), as such let the love of God dominant your heart as you step out to witness.
Some fear also arises as to whether the process of witnessing to people really make an impact in their lives. I have personally had this fear especially when the person i am witnessing to does not show any emotions at all. But this should never be your problem or worry as I have come to learn. Witnessing to people about Jesus Christ is never about you. If you grasp this from the onset, then you will do fine. It is the work of the Holy Spirit to convict the people you talk to and not you. So never worry about whether you are making an impact or not, just speak to them and leave the rest to God, period.
- Not Knowing What to Say: not knowing what to say may vary depending on the individual. Some Christians might not know what to say as to how to start engaging someone or the exact words to use in that instance. Others too do not know what to say because of their ignorance of God’s word. In either case, it is fundamental to know that as a s Christian, you must know the word of God. Even to witness to people, you must not be ignorant of the word of God because it is with the word that you witness to people about Jesus Christ.
- Selfishness: winning souls or witnessing to people is not an easy task as it involves a strenuous effort and self-denial. It cost time, money and energy, but many are giving up this effort to further their own businesses, but not for “the Father’s business” (Luke 2: 49). Strangely enough, we all have time to become “successful at whatever business venture we target”. We find time to work several hours on our farms or jobs but ignore the vineyard of the Lord, what excuse do we have?
- Prayerlessness: witnessing to people about Jesus Christ is and should be the life of Christians. And just as Christians pray to God concerning their daily lives, Christians should also pray to God concerning soul winning. Through prayer, we become sensitive to the Holy Spirits leading and hence get directions as to how to go about the business of witnessing to people. Without prayer, we will lose our sensitivity and become empty and wonder aimlessly without any spark of joy in witnessing to people.
- Sin: we all know what sin does to people, it clouds our spiritual faculties, makes us unresponsive and insensitive to the leadings of the Holy Spirit. When we sin, we lose the joy of our communion with God hence lose interest in anything related to God.
The reasons why Christians do not witness about Jesus Christ vary as mentioned earlier but aside these reasons, some do not even know why they should be witnesses of Jesus Christ. This is most common among both old believers and new believers as such. Though not entirely exhaustive, I have highlighted some reasons why Christians must be witnessing about Jesus Christ.
It Is Your Ministry: witnessing or soul winning is a ministry we all have been called to as disciples of Jesus Christ. The moment you believed and accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, your sins were forgiven and a new beginning was birth in you. And you were called to reconcile others to God through Jesus Christ. The believer’s ministry is that of reconciliation and you cannot reconcile people to God if you do not witness to them.
IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS: what joy is there in to be a child of God when your friends and family are still living in darkness. Once upon a time you were also living in darkness but God pulled you out of this darkness into his light not for you to be there alone but to bring your family and friends as well. You were chosen out of the lot to serve as their light to God. If as a believer some of your family members are still not saved or some of your friends are still not saved, you are responsible for them so act now.
SPREAD THE GOSPEL: through witnessing, we gradually spread the good news of Jesus Christ to our villages, towns and the rest of the world as the Lord tasked us to in the great commission. So, whenever you step out, know that you are doing a noble thing, you helping spread the gospel which has the power to set people held by the bondage of sin free.
There is so much we can do for the kingdom of God as Christians, no matter your age or geographical location, stature or worth just know that God can use you and has called us all to be great witnesses of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.